- Sunflowers are an oil crop that is highly regarded for its ornamental value.
- Sunflowers grow quickly. These plants mature in 90-100 days. In Illinois, they are typically planted in the spring or early summer (depending on the variety).
- One crop of sunflowers can yield around 2,000 pounds per acre.
- Sunflower Oil (for cooking)
- Bird Seed
- Sunflower Seeds (for human consumption)
- Oils used in the production of cosmetics, paints, and other goods
- Sunflowers are native to North America.
- Some sunflower heads follow the sun from east to west across the sky each day.