- Wheat is a cereal crop that belongs to the grass family and is a notable staple crop around the world.
- Second to corn and soybeans, wheat is the third largest field crop in the United States. Kansas is the nation’s top producing wheat state.
- The national average wheat yield is around 50 bushels per acre (1 bushel = 60 pounds).
- Each year, Kansas produces enough wheat to make 36 billion loaves of bread.
- The U.S. uses about half of the wheat grown in the country.
- Wheat is grown in 42 states
- Human Consumption
- Flour – bread, cakes, etc.
- Wheat Bran – muffins, breads, breakfast cereals
- Semolina — pasta, sweet puddings, couscous
- And much more!